1 EAGLETON NOTES: Ambleside and A Memory for Mo

.

.

Sunday 15 July 2012

Ambleside and A Memory for Mo

On our way home we stopped the night in Ambleside and in the morning we had a wander down to the lake side (Ambleside is at the northern end of Lake Windermere).  There was a time when the town would have been of secondary interest and we'd have been up walking in the fells.  Now our enjoyment is confined to photography and the lower levels.  I'd like to think that when I get a new knee I'd be able to climb a Munro again but something tells me that by then I'll be too unfit.  Qui sait ?

The wooden rowing boats (which are actually sculled not rowed) and the two old wooden lake steamers
My wife and I (I think I did help) sculled one round the north end  of the lake on our honeymoon.
The terrace on which Mo and I had an ice cream back in the day (ie I've forgotten the date).
Queen of the Lake (Built 1949) and Princess of the Lake (Built 1950)
See details at: Queen of the Lake and Princess of the Lake 

The Pier Buildings
I don't recall an ice cream cabin being there when I was a lad

12 comments:

  1. I drive through Ambleside I really will have to stop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only to make another trip to George Fisher's.

      Delete
  2. Lovely views, especially that one in the middle with the two big boats and the mountains in the background. Glad you had a bit of sunshine in among all the rainclouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hills around Ambleside are wonderful - especially when you are on them and, in the God Old Days, when they weren't covered with people wanting to be 'away from it all'.

      Delete
  3. The little wooden steamers remind me of an episode of Poirot when he and Hastings had to solve a murder. It's been years since I've seen it, but I seem to remember something about jewels being stolen, and a major part of the solution being a little white West Highland terrier. Rather like Molly, Adrian. I'll have to look around and see if the library or the video rental places have a copy anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are stirring recollections in my mind too, Carol. If either of us comes up with the answer please may we let the other know?

      Delete
  4. Looks like a beautiful place to spend the day. Water, mountains, flowers, and sunshine will do it everytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a charming place Lisa. I'm sure you'd love it.

      Delete
  5. But the ice cream hut is shut... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. GB, thanks to you, I am once again reaching out to wikipedia to learn something new... I am now more familiar with a munro and sculling..thank you.
    I am in awe at the beautiful scenes that you continue to post...must have been a lovely and memorable honeymoon in such a pretty place...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful area and what wonderful photographs!! The scenery is stunning!!
    Thanks for your lovely comments on my sunset.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is activated 14 days after the post to minimise unwanted comments and, hopefully, make sure that I see and reply to wanted comments.